Thursday, April 28, 2011

Intermission

I am a firm believer in duality.

Therefore, several years from now, I will have to go there, walk up those steps, knock on that door--all the while reminding myself to breathe because fainting or gasping are not socially acceptable.
Therefore, while I wait for you to answer, I'll fiddle with the symbol, and then you'll answer, but you won't notice.
Therefore, you'll look at me suspiciously wondering how I knew you would be there, and I'll try to smile as I hand you something you should have picked out for me.
Therefore, when you comprehend what I say, you will breathe out the expected response, but you won't be able to hide the tone of astonishment and disappointment.
Therefore, I'll explain a little of what you missed, I will pause to look at you, and I will fight not to cry as I say goodbye.
Therefore, I will have to turn around, I will have to walk down those steps, and I will have to drive away--all the while reminding myself that I knew this long ago.

No comments: