Monday, November 8, 2010

My Friends Don't Get It

They just don't.

I live with two of my best friends. It's almost 6:30 and we just got back from dinner. We don't go to bed until around 11. However, they are content to sit in silence for the rest of the evening.

Okay, that's a bit extreme.

It's not like there is some decree or vow of silence here. It's just that generally, after dinner, there is no more conversation. Everything is short. Every response is brief. Every attempt to start a conversation will be shut down.

Unless it's about high school.

It's either constant reminiscing or nothing. (This is also somewhat of an extreme.)

Now, it's true, I miss high school, but only because I could socialize there. In my current situation, I am confined to small room for the majority of my free time with people who are perfectly content to sit in silence. Of course, it's not like they are just sitting their doing nothing - they are A) reading, B) listening to music, C) texting their best friend*, or D) some combination of the above. In case you are wondering, these best friends* happen to be in high school.

To be fair, my best friend* is also in high school, so it's not like I have any room to talk, but that isn't really my intended point anyway.

My problem is that the three of us spent a lot of time talking about how living together was going to be awesome. We wouldn't have curfews or parents to answer to, and we would just go out and have fun. Now, almost a semester into the deal, we haven't done anything. There are plenty of things to do such as bowling, a dollar movie theater, two malls nearby, and a freaking Bass Pro Shop. We can't even manage to carry on a simple conversation.

I have tried to voice my concerns, but since that qualifies as a conversation, they have fallen on deaf ears.

Instead, I have resolved myself to trying to find things to occupy myself such as calling my mom, listening to This American Life, watching documentaries on Netflix, and sometimes (when desperate) carrying on a monologue while no one listens.

This is me venting in my blog. My friends will find this post and be very upset with me. They will be offended and maybe even hurt. They might confront me about it. At least, then they will be talking to me.



*Best friend is a term I dislike using, consider childish, and does not quite fit the situation.

No comments: